Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Brunch with Brecht: episode 1

Meet our first Adaptive Arts member: Ali Goldaper, Puppet Designer extraordinaire!

M: Hi Ali! So, what drew you to this crazy adventure?
A: The crazy director! I've worked with you in the past and really enjoyed myself. This sounded like a great project and I jump at any opportunity to make puppets.

M: Now unlike last time we collaborated, no one is dead or famous or famous people pretending to be dead people. What have you liked about this show so far?
A: I loved building the puppets. They sort of built themselves. It was a process of what works and what doesnt and how do i make them look basic or easy when they really werent.

M: Now a little birdie told me you named all the puppets, how did that come about and which one is your favorite?
A: They all name themselves a little too, does that sound too hippy? Jack (boy) was the first one i made and my brother and i both looked at him and decided at once that his name was Jack. It just went on from there. I'm the most happy with Grandfather, but i am proud of all of them. Its my first time doing this type [bunraku] puppets and there's only one real place to find instructions on this and its by part. It was a lot of trial and error.

M: So do you have separation anxiety from them now that they are living with us during rehearsals? It sounds like they've become sort of like your kids in a way....
A: That's pretty much true. You know me too well.
M: I'm like that with props I handcraft too, no judgement!
A: The process involved me scooping into their heads and scooping out the clay inside. it felt a little like brain surgery and that was weird.But, i know they have a good home. I'll be ok...

M: Do you have a favorite moment of the play or favorite line?
A: I love the epilogue. I really love it. I feel the same way about it that i do about Puck's in Midsummer, the direct address to the audience. The plea for acceptance or favor. I also love the God scenes. Its funny. These all powerful beings are just as clueless perhaps as the people they are controlling. The gods don't really have control, but people still accept that they do.

M: Scariest thing about this for you besides the brain surgery of course?
A: This is the first real time that I've build puppets. Im hoping they hold up in a way i want them to. Im not sure what adjustments will have to be made as we go. I know you will make some and I will make some and we've talked about some. Its a process.

M: What's next for you?
A: I'm actually props designing Fiddler on the Roof at the John W Engeman Theater in Northport. The show runs April 29th-June 20th.

M: Wow. thats close! Yay overcommitting! We all share that disease!
A: Yay!


And on that note, she fled back to the LIRR train station to go back to work in Northport.

The puppets waved goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment