Saturday, March 5, 2011

Our board, session three: meet Callen Willis

And now, we present our lovely secretary, Callen Willis:

1) How do you identify yourself as an artist (primarily an actor, playwright, etc)? Or do you explore different aspects of theater?
At this point in my life, I don't identify myself as one specific type of artist; I absolutely love writing (I recently had my first poem published!) as well as singing and acting. Acting was definitely my main artistic endeavor for a while, but I enjoy going wherever my creativity takes me. :)

2) How did you get started in theater?
My mom put in me in an acting class as an extracurricular activity when I was about 6 or 7; we did a workshop of "The Wizard of Oz" and the entire class of 6 and 7 year olds was invited to audition for ToTo in a main stage equity production after the class ended. I didnt get the part, but the acting bug stuck with me.

3) Who do you consider your theatrical/artistic influences?
As far as writing goes, I love ionesco, albee, euginides, faulkner, everything.... Acting-wise, Annette Bening (or is it spelled with two n's?) is one of my favorites. Movie-Directing-Wise, I really like Darren Aronofsky.

4) When you were little, what did you want to be “when you grew up”?
A marine biologist. Because I wanted to play with dolphins. Or a geologist. I thought plate tectonics were really cool (i still do).

5)
What kind of theater/art inspires you?

Bold theater. People who take risks.

6) What drew you to Adaptive Arts?

I recently went back to school for do my pre-requisites for Med School. It is a very challenging thing to go back to school after having initially graduated two years ago as well asbeing forced to take classes that may not be your 'strong point.' IE Calculus!! Bleh!! After a semester of being seriously busy, I began to go through serious theater withdrawal; Adaptive Arts allows me to not only be involved in theater in some capacity, but it also allows me to help a community; I don't know if there is anything better.

7) What do new things do you want to explore while working with Adaptive?
I want to get the word out there about Adaptive; I want Adaptive to become something that is well recognized and well known for the good things it does. It's scary to know that there will be challenging obstacles as far as fundraising; but I am sure we will be able to raise a good amount of money if we put forth an amazing effort.


8) What kind of work do you do outside of the company?
I am back in School! I am in the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program at Columbia University for those of us who have college degrees that are pretty much totally unrelated to medicine.

9) If you had to work on one play for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune or True West.

10) What’s your most embarrassing theater moment?
I totally forgot the lyrics to a song during a high school musical and just made something up after singing "lala" for a couple words.

11) What ‘s your most surprising theater moment?
The first time I completely embodied a character was a very surprising moment; when you get in that zone and after the scene is over you aren't really sure where you are, or what just happened.

12)
Tell us about a “first” you experienced while working on a show
We did Anne Frank in 8th grade the stage microphones weren't picking up; you couldn't hear anything. We had to basically yell, and since most of us 14 year olds werent trained to use our diaphragms properly, it was a bit of a disaster. Then the microphones finally popped back on in the middle of the second act, but no one noticed until after about 5 minutes, during which everyone was still yelling, so it came across as very amplified loud obnoxious yelling about the Holocaust... it was a mess.
13) What projects do you have upcoming?

FINALS!! I recently had a poem published, it's in an anthology on Barnes and Noble.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment