Saturday, March 5, 2011

Our Board, session two: meet Gabby Sherba

Here's a little look into the mind of our Associate Artistic Director, miss Gabby Sherba

1) How do you identify yourself as an artist (primarily an actor, playwright, etc)? I am somebody who gives life to ideas in a variety of ways. As an emotional vessel and as a musical vessel and as a piece of the universal spirit.

2)
How did you get started in theater? Oh…. there was a children’s theater in my community that I joined after overcoming a great deal of intimidation at the age of nine. My first play there was an original piece called “Mill Girls” (which is now published). Once I saw past the empty idea of simply being a ham, I became really excited to share the playwright’s truths with an audience.

3)
Who do you consider your theatrical/artistic influences? Nature, Gustav Klimt, Dali, and Picasso.

4)
When you were little, what did you want to be “when you grew up”? I wanted to be an invisible oboe player. I loved the sound of its voice but I wanted the performance to have nothing to do with my identity.

5) When did that dream go awry? My mother pushed me into a really vain place with music that I had no interest in. So I strayed from that world for a bit. It was similar with acting, when it felt like it was just kids being hams I didn’t want to do it. When I realized I could just go onstage and express somebody’s words, that changed it for me.


6)
_____ inspires me. Oh boy. Breathing. All things with a back and forth motion, anything that gives and takes and exchanges energy.

7)
What drew you to Adaptive Arts? Unlike Collin I won’t talk about any lassoes. What drew me to adaptive arts? The passion that they demonstrated for an unheard and un-accommodated for population. Something that is really important for me is empowering the silent. The nature of our productions is fascinating to me in that it’s designed to connect directly with this isolated community but also to present an awareness to traditional theater communities.

8)
What do new things do you want to explore while working with Adaptive? I want to explore how to incorporate the nurturing aspects of my life as child care provide into my mission within the company as an educator.

9)
What kind of work do you do outside of the company? I compose and perform music and I give my energy to characters in film and theater productions here and in New England.

10)
If you had to work on one play for the rest of your life, what would it be? Would it be The Winter’s Tale? No it would be Five Flights by Adam Bock. Or the play that is made up of all my dreams that I have at night….it’s fantastic.

11) What’s your most embarrassing theater moment? I don’t think I have ever really been embarrassed. I’ve made mistakes. I guess my most evident mistake onstage was when I was playing Feste in Twelth Night and I lost track of where we were in the scene and I was switching back and forth between accents (which I was supposed to be doing for the show) and I just decided to start half of the scene over in the accent that I hadn’t done the scene in yet after exclaiming, “Oh man!”


12)
What ‘s your most surprising theater moment? When I delivered my line correctly after not being able to say it in my head before going onstage while performing in School for Wives.


13) What's upcoming for you? I have some concerts with my bands. AND a little play called Alice Sit by the Fire by J.M Barrie with Adaptive in March. And some mystery projects…

No comments:

Post a Comment